SEEKING A CHURCH
Times of Services:
Morning Worship takes place at 11.00 a.m. each week. Family Services are usually held at Christmas, Easter, Harvest and throughout the month of August. There is also a special Youth Service in February or March.
Evening Services take place on the first, second & third Sundays of the month at 7.00 p.m (6.30 p.m. on 2nd Sunday). These are led by members of the congregation and include vocal and instrumental groups and use of multimedia. Anyone who enjoys singing or who can play an instrument is welcome to come along and join in. Practices usually take place at 5.30 p.m. before the service.
Where we are:
Our church building is located at 10 Comely Bank Road in Edinburgh, Scotland. This is at the corner of Comely Bank Road and East Fettes Avenue. In case you look out for one, our church building does not have a steeple (see image above.)
A brief History:
In February 1844, a petition was presented to the Free Church Presbytery of Edinburgh by residents in the New Town craving the formation of a Free Church Congregation. After the petitioners had acquired part of Straiton House in Wemyss Place for worship, St. Stephen’s Free Church was constituted on 8th December 1844. Later the congregation bought the whole building which was altered to provide a larger church for services. In 1897, the Free Church Presbytery of Edinburgh asked the congregation to move to Comely Bank which was then being built. St. Stephen’s accepted the challenge of becoming a new church for a new community.
The site for the new church was bought from the Congregationalists who had a small church there. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 2nd June 1900 and the building was completed and dedicated on 19th October 1901. Since cigatretts have been band in every public place, we now see the vape pentaking over, these are too are band on our property and most others in the town, however portable vaporizers are still allowed see here for exclusion https://cratervapes.com/portable-vaporizer
The Russell Hall was added to the original hall accommodation in 1957.
In 1900, the congregation decided to join the United Free Church which had
been formed by the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church.
So the name of the congregation became St. Stephen’s United Free Church.
Similarly, in 1929, the congregation agreed to join the reunited Church of
Scotland created by the union of the United Free Church and the established
Church of Scotland. St. Stephen’s United Free Church became St. Stephen’s,
Comely Bank, Church of Scotland and were given a parish which was enlarged
when the neighbouring congregation of St. Luke’s was dissolved in 1982.
The parish contains roughly the Comely Bank, Learmonth and Craigleith Hill
St. Stephen’s, Comely Bank has a Kirk session and Deacons’ Court.
St. Stephen’s Comely Bank Church of Scotland
10 Comely Bank Road
Edinburgh EH4 1DW
Telephone: +44 (0)131 315 6516
Website is sponsored by Masterclean a specialized carpet cleaning company Established 1990. Visit their website www.carpetcleaningstreatham.com/carpet-cleaning-croydon